Pages

Thursday 22 April 2010

Ode to ForeverMod (a poem written to Janine when she was emigrating)




To lose a best friend is careless, but I’m not known for being tidy
But let’s go back to when we met – I’m sure it was a Friday
A jaunt to the Black Country; a room shared with a stranger
I should have know that instant, my sanity was endangered

Announcing boldy to the staff “We’re lesbians you know …
This is my Mummy Alison and I am Janine Snow”
Although I didn’t know it, I had gained my own pet Mod
It took a while to realise that she was a frightful sod

But hey, I gained a daughter ( a mere few years younger )
For Cider, Slimfast and Cheese String, she had insatiable hunger
Arriving weekly at my home with bottles of champagne
Generous of spirit, but headfu*ked in the brain

We travelled Britain’s motorways in search of soulful times
The Highway code forgotten, committing driving crimes
A text sent here, nails painted there, deftly actioned and applied
Crashes, scrapes and writes offs – she took all in her stride

I’ve witnessed her ascent to heights so dizzy and alarming
Crowned Princess of Snowland and yet down to earth and charming
A spoilt brat, a naughty child, a nightmare adolescent
Nini somehow pulls it off – the best anti-depressant

I’ll miss the Minx, the Monkey, the Modernist Mademoiselle
I’m sorry that I cannot be there to wish her fond farewell
Goodbye my dearest cowbag, our wicked pretend daughter
I promise we’ll visit you in Oz - come hell or high water

You’ve been a total diamond; best friend in times of woe
Maybe we should make a stand, refuse to let you go
You fly away to the Promised Land of sun and glistening sea
Just take the time to think of us, Darling Persephone

No comments:

Post a Comment